The folks at France Galop in charge of recruiting foreign owners have finally figured out I exist, and to make up for lost time, they’ve declared me “trainer of the week” in their newsletter and online: http://www.frbc.net/
Mark, meanwhile, has been working tirelessly to get speaking/race days set up with the numerous expat groups around Paris, and we are making progress. We’re also off to the sales in Deauville next week. A big attraction for American owners, I think, is the chance to lease a horse rather than buy one. This gives all the benefits of ownership (name in the program, on-track access, prize money, win photos) without the responsibility of having to make arrangements for the horse if there are career-ending injuries or if the animal is just not good enough for the game. If a leased horse can’t race, it goes back to the lease-holder. I’m working on putting together a few horses to offer on this program, and they will be added to my web site when they become available.
As for the current group of trainees, we’re making what progress we can given the weather. The high winds arrived as scheduled, and luckily moved on as scheduled, too, so we were able to get some training done around noon. Skid’s gelding went off without a hitch (perhaps not the best choice of words). In any case, he seems not to know anything is missing, and we should be able to bring him back home from Normandy in three weeks or so. Turfani will start galloping on the all-weather track tomorrow, and Tommy will start to go a little quicker, too. In another month, we should be racing, and that thought keeps us moving through this crappy winter.